WWRD Recycled Water Review - Regular
Any commercial, industrial, agricultural or managed property wishing to obtain a permit to utilize recycled water for irrigation or other approved uses is required to first obtain approval from the County of Maui and the State Department of Health.
How to Apply
Obtain and complete the RW-1 Project Application and submit it along with construction plans to the Wastewater Reclamation Division for review and approval. The RW-2 form can also be downloaded to show the typical step by step review/approval process.
Go to the Maui County’s MAPPS Customer Portal to make your submittal for a use permit. Choose the appropriate option depending on if you will be constructing onsite improvements, offsite improvements to be dedicated to the County, or both.
The Department of Environmental Management Wastewater Reclamation Division (WWRD) and the State Department of Health Wastewater Branch (DOH) both need to review applications and plans to authorize recycled water use. WWRD issues the final use permit, monitors compliance and processes billing.
Application and Plan Review can take many weeks depending on the complexity and quality of the project application and plans. Once the plan is approved by both agencies, construction, inspections, training, final approvals and permit issuing occur over several months.
Duration of Approval
A Recycled Water Use permit is issued at the end of the process and does not have an expiration date. The County will conduct annual inspections to insure that the permitee is adhering to all of the State of Hawaii Use Guidelines and the system is not modified from its approved configuration. Modifications will require a new permit review.
There are not any upfront application fees for this plan and application review.
A Recycled Water Connection Fee will be assessed prior to the use permit issuance via the MAPPS website. The fees are set forth in the Annual County Budget (Appendix B: Rates and Fees) and are dependent on which Facility produces and distributes the water. The current fees are as follows:
- South Maui ($82 per thousand gallons per day of estimated daily use)
- West Maui ($33 per thousand gallons per day of estimated daily use)
All fees are non-refundable. Payments can be made electronically on the MAPPS Customer Portal once assessed.
Upon permit issuance, an account will be created and the user will be billed monthly for the volume of water used. Normally this is added to the users Water/Sewer bill. The rates charged are set forth in the Annual County Budget (Appendix B: Rates and Fees). Currently these fees are as follows:
- The monthly service charge is $10 per recycled water meter
- The cost per thousand gallons used is dependent on type of use as defined in Maui County Code 20.30.030:
- Major Agricultural: $0.30/1,000 gallons
- Agricultural: $0.43/1,000 gallons
- All Others: $1.55/1,000 gallons
Set of Plans Required
Plans and applications are submitted and reviewed electronically.
The plan set should be signed/stamped by your Engineer/Landscape Architect and include:
- Project location map
- Overall site plan that highlights the area where recycled water will be applied/used.
- Standard Recycled Water Construction Notes and Specific Project Notes
- Plan view of proposed construction (pipelines, meters, valve boxes, sprinkler heads, manholes, fire hydrants, signage etc.)
- Landscape Plan
- Detail Sheet
- See the RW-1 Application for additional requirements
Approved plans of the facility are required to be on file with the Wastewater Reclamation Division.