WW - Discharge License - Food Establishment
All Food establishments who discharge wastewater that is processed at the County of Maui's Wastewater Treatment facilities are required to obtain a Wastewater Discharge Permit (License). There are six types of dischargers defined in the Maui County Code, Chapter 14.21A.105. A food establishment falls into Class IV.
How to Apply
Go to the Maui County MAPPS Customer Portal to apply for your license. Note that the MAPPS system calls it a Business License. Choose the Food Establishment Wastewater Discharge License (Class IV) and follow the prompts. The Wastewater Reclamation Division will review your application.
Renewal reminders are automatically sent to establishments three months prior to the current license's expiration. Note that all establishments must pass a pre-treatment inspection prior to issuance or renewal of a license.
A user with an expiring Wastewater Discharge license shall apply for Wastewater Discharge license reissuance by submitting a complete license application, in accordance with Maui County Code Chapter 14.21A.100, at least ninety days prior to the expiration of the existing Wastewater Discharge license.
The Department of Environmental Management Wastewater Reclamation Division is authorized to review and process all Wastewater Discharge applications and issue resulting licenses.
License are normally completed within a week provided all required information is included in the application.
Duration of Approval
A Wastewater Discharge license is valid for a two-year period. The license indicates an expiration date and is non-transferable. A Wastewater Discharge license expires at eleven fifty-nine p.m. on the specified date.
Fees are set forth in the Annual County Budget. The current fees are as follows:
- Initial application fee for first time license is $10 for food service establishments
- A $120 fee is applicable for new license issuance
- License renewals require a $120 fee
All fees are non-refundable. Payments can be made electronically on the MAPPS Customer Portal once they are assessed. Checks are made payable to "County of Maui, Director of Finance".
- As stated on the Submittal Requirement for Commercial Kitchen Handout, if you wish for us to use the existing plumbing plan on file, please request that in writing. Our inspector will conduct an inspection using the existing plan on file. If the site condition is different from the existing plan, you are required to submit an As-Built plan.
- Appendix H sizing calculation is attached for your use. The calculation must be signed and stamped by a registered engineer.
Approved plans of the facility are required to be on file with the Wastewater Reclamation Division. Contact Wastewater Reclamation Division if you have any questions for your facility type.
- Grease Interceptor and Sample Box Notes rev. 07.03
- Chapter 14.21A GENERAL PRETREATMENT REGULATIONS of the Maui County Code details the requirements of the license, current discharge standards and provisions for license issuance, monitoring, violation penalties, etc..
- Maui County Sewer and Recycled Water GIS Map